Monday, July 21, 2008

Smoke

"Smoke". That was our weather report yesterday. Not "cloudy" or "overcast" or even "cloudy again". It was an interesting way to blame our VERY blah weather for the past few weeks on the fires over in Big Sur. Although the smoke is real (every morning we have a slight coating of ash on our car) I've heard from more permanent residents that foggy, overcast summers are normal in Monterey and are followed by a fall that feels like summer. All I know is, it is July and I am wearing sweaters and turning on the heater! It just doesn't feel right.

Another thought this morning was that I miss the smell of gasoline when I'm at the gas station. Now that someone thought up the great little attachment that keeps the (artificially-added) smell of gasoline from coming out while pumping gas, one of my reminders of childhood is gone. This loss of nostalgia is making me feel old!

6 comments:

K and M said...

Come to Michigan - they apparently don't have those here. Plenty of gas smell to go around. :)

Anonymous said...

I can't believe it's typically overcast until noon here. It's so strange! Not to mention fleece sweaters throughout the day.

Amy said...

really? I had no idea. I'm glad because I don't like the gas smell. I hope the smoke clears up soon.
Hey! I'm in MoVal!

Merilee said...

I'm so glad you are here to visit us. I miss you when you are gone. Don't go.

Jenkins' Family said...

Xavier is so grown up! I must say I don't miss the Monterey summer but there are many things I do miss, like you guys! I'm glad you've joined the blogging world, it's a fun way to stay in touch. How's primary?

Jodi said...

How funny about the smoke! And I used to love the smell of gas too. We're weird.