Tuesday, August 5, 2008

What did he say?!


Xavier is getting so much better with saying what he wants but there are still a few alphabet sounds that trip him up. Tonight, we had fresh corn for dinner. He loves watching us shuck the corn and even liked the taste last time we had it (yay!), so he was ready for his share this night and said, "I want corn!" It's a great request except that he can't say the "c" sound yet, so it comes out as a "p". Yep. So all through the meal, we listen to him talk about his mispronounced version of "corn", attempting the whole time to get him to say the right sound, and feeling really grateful that no one is over for dinner tonight! Another sound he has trouble with is "f". It comes out more like "sh". So, whenever he says "fish" it sounds more like a bad word that starts with "s". Another one, which is not as bad as the others, is drums, which he calls "bums." Although I understand that he will learn the right sounds eventually, I'm not sure other adults who don't get an explanation would understand why we "let" him say such words! I guess I just have to hope that nothing prompts him to say "corn" or "fish" in public!

3 comments:

Jenkins' Family said...

How funny! He's just adorable. How nice that you were able to take a little trip by yourself to see your family.

Jodi said...

That is awesome! I'm going to serve corn when you guys get here.

Merilee said...

That made me laugh so hard. Mikayla used to the word "frog" but it sounded like the f-word. We had to teach her to say froggie and she still thinks they are called froggies. Xavier is so funny! I wish we could have spent more time with you while you were here. We miss you!