Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Parenting 201

I'm always on the lookout for how I want to parent. Sometimes I learn things by experience and other times books, people, or talking about situations give me good ideas. I've been reading a great book by Adele Farber (and another author who I can't remember) called something like "How to talk so your kids will listen and how to listen so your kids will talk". It is really helpful in teaching how to acknowledge your child's feelings, not just push the feelings away or just respond to their words or actions. Joe was a good sport and did the exercises in the book with me so I could practice because it is actually tough to think so differently on the spot!

I never realized that the need for our feelings to be understood is so powerful. The other day (before I read the book), I told X we were going shopping and he got upset and kept saying "no, no, no shopping!" I just figured he didn't really mean "no" and that he'd perk up once we got there but I was wrong. He was mad the whole trip and made shopping really hard. If I had listened and talked about his not wanting to go, he might have calmed down and I might have spared myself the embarrassment of a screaming child in the store or I could have even figured out a better time to go...without him. So today I tried really listening and responding to X's feelings and here's what happened:

#1: We were waiting for an appt. and X was playing with some toys. I was filling out paperwork and assumed he was still playing at the table in front of me until I looked up and saw that he was gone. A second later I saw him with panic on his face, looking for me. I called his name and he burst into loud crying when he saw me. My instinct was to say "You're ok, you're ok" but instead I thought of what I could say about how he was feeling. So I cuddled him and said, "You were scared when you couldn't find mommy." That was it. He nodded and calmed right down. After a little more cuddling, I told him I'd stay in the chair and he could stay with me or play with the toys. He chose me, so a few minutes later we moved to the kids table together so he could play and that was that. A happy child again. :)

#2: I asked X if he wanted a bite of my broccoli and cheese at lunch. He said no, so I put it in my mouth. Not surprisingly, he started yelling "mine! my cheese!" My first thought was "Sorry kiddo, I already put it in my mouth" but instead I offered him more from my plate. He was mad. "NOOOOOOO!!!!!! THAT one!!!!!! (pointing at my mouth). I stopped to think of how to respond to his feelings. "You wanted the broccoli and cheese." He wails loudly, "yeahhhhh". "You wanted to eat it but it went in mommy's tummy, down, down, down." He started laughing at the thought and repeated "Down, down,down." Then I offered him more broccoli from my plate so it could go down, down, down in his tummy. He accepted. Crisis over. :)

#3: X finished his lunch and played with his cars out on the deck after a reminder that he would soon be taking a nap. His response: no nap! I cleaned up the dishes and got on the computer and then he brought a blanket to me and said, "Mommy, nap". I said I wasn't tired and he went and got up on the couch with the blanket and said it again. This time it clicked. I went over and asked him if HE was tired. "Uh-huh." I asked him if he wanted me to take a nap with him. "Uh-huh." A few minutes later he was sound asleep on the couch and I was free to do my own things. :)

I think this is a wonderful way to listen and talk with kids. I can't wait to find out what's next in the book! My favorite part so far is when the authors remind readers that to have a happy family you must permit the airing of a lot of unhappiness. It's such an unusual thought but it makes so much sense! Wish us luck as we move on to Chapter 2!

7 comments:

K and M said...

I love it when I find good books like that! I read one recently called "10 mistakes that good parents make." I would highly reccomend it. It had a chapter that discussed the same things you mentioned. The hard part is doing it with a kid who doesn't speak, but we're trying. It's nice to know that Benjamin isn't the only one who will refuse something and yet the instant you take it away, he bursts into tears and insists on having it. That drives me crazy!

Merilee said...

You guys are such great parents. I need to read this book. Mikayla wailed for about an hour today because she didn't want to go potty, but if we don't tell her to go, she wets her pants. Its so frustrating! I need to read this book. I will look for it at the library next time we go. Thanks for the great suggestion!

Stacy said...

Michelle, I've been getting myself into trouble lately because I give Xavier choices. "Do you want the monkey towel or the truck towel?" Monkey. Okay, get the monkey towel and..."Noooo, truck towel!" He changes his mind again and again, asking for whichever one he's not getting until I pick for him and it ends with him in tears. This happens about a million times a day. It is a HUGE test of my patience recently. Joe says that's what God must feel like about us sometimes...He gives us choices and then we go back and forth asking for whichever thing we're not getting. Hmmmm...makes one think!

Stacy said...

Mer, you are a great parent, too. I loved getting to watch you with your girls while I was there. It sounds like potty training Mikayla is a battle of the wills. No fun!What's the hardest thing about it for her do you think? I have yet to even try with Xavier(which is why it was my own fault when I left him diaperless a little TOO long before bathtime yesterday and he came and sat on ME when he had to "go"). I'm sending you good "potty" vibes for Mikayla.

Stacy said...

I've heard of that book...10 Mistakes that good parents make. I'll have to look into it! Thanks!

Cristi Johnson said...

Stacy san, look at you! Way to parent! I miss you guys and love catching up with you on the blog.

Anonymous said...

I'm reading Positive Discipline with Jane Nelsen for a book club. Wish me luck!

I also have the book you wrote about, just haven't read it yet.