So Joe and I met with our new bishop today and while we were surprised that we didn't get any callings yet (he just wanted to learn more about us), I was surprised to learn that I have bunions on both of my big toes. Talk about feeling OLD! I didn't know what bunions were until today but I've heard of them and it was not in reference to young people. (FYI: A bunion is bone that grows on top of your normal big toe joint if you have damaged your foot somehow, if you have arthritis, weird foot structure, etc). It might be hard to picture but I damaged my big toes on my mission because I was constantly putting my toe on the ground in my dress shoes to stop my bike and hold it up.
Anyway, if you're wondering how I learned that I had bunions during a bishop's interview, it's a good question. When the bishop introduced himself, he mentioned that he was a podiatrist, so at the end of the meeting when he asked if we had any questions, I asked if he might know why my feet hurt so much. And ta-DA! I learned that I have some arthritis in the toes, permanent bony growths on my toe joints, and will need new shoes. Not what I expected. For being the somewhat hypochondriac that I am, I'm surprised I hadn't thought to look up foot pain symptoms before now. I just figured it was due to exercising more diligently (no, not my New Year's resolution, I'm just loving that my in-laws have On Demand Exercise TV and I've been having fun with all the variety of exercises available!) Anyway, I thought it was a great blessing that just as my toes have started hurting to the point of extreme discomfort, I met someone who could tell me why! Now the question is: Do I buy the dorky orthopedic shoes or try to get around them with roomy running shoes?
6 comments:
You should get a pair of Dansko's, they are the most supportive, comfortable, wonderful shoes. I also love the Superfeet insoles for my running shoes. I guess you know you're getting *old* when you have to look at shoes for support and function instead of just looks. Oh well. :)
you can get supportive shoes that are still cute. you're just going to pay more for them. also there are quite a variety of supportive insoles and if you just get a little bit bigger shoe they should work well for you. good luck! glad to hear ya'll are doing well.
very cool. My bro just had bunion surgery. He has bunions from being a gymnast and stunt man. I'm glad you figured it out!
Yeah, foot pain is the worst. Go for the roomy running shoes with good insoles. That's what I did for years before I had that bone removed in my foot. It worked for a while anyway...Good Luck!
Welcome to the club! I got major bunions on my mission too- ironically because of the shoes that I bought specially fitted at an orthopedic shoe store. I went to a podiatrist in the mish, and she told me I had pre-arthritic feet. I'd never felt so old in my life. Isn't it fun?
My sister had bunion surgery. It took her a while to recover. My mom forced me to paint her toenails for weeks. I was like 23 at the time.
Great to see you Banks family!
Post a Comment