Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Bliss or Miss

This is bliss, seeing X smile--this smile was after waiting two hours for his picture session during which mom, dad, aunt and grandma tried to keep X and cousin Z entertained, and kept getting to clean up cousin Z who was throwing up but insisted on staying so she could have her pictures taken too.

And this is miss, the times in life (like this month) when it feels like everything is falling apart. This month has, so far, brought shrinking bank accounts, a statistics final and project, a malfunctioning modem and random internet service, unpredictable weather, a monster cold that had me out flat for several days, and job rejections for Joe. Still, we have amazing friends who helped watch X for us, and Joe helped me out with everything--from cooking and taking X on outings to tutoring me in stats and working out my paper. And we just keep applying for more jobs. Joe's theory is that if you don't apply, you definitely won't get the job. Smarty! This week is "apply for Kaiser" week (at least for me). Maybe I'll get some use out of my bachelor's degree (Community Hlth Ed) after all!

Now that I actually have a second to blog, although X really wants me to play cars with him, I'll show you the highlight of our Thanksgiving...Disneyland! Xavier was not sick this time around and it felt so good seeing him excited and amazed at everything. His favorites were: Mark Twain's island (is that what it's called?), the teacups, the carousel (he told us it was like being on Mary Poppins), Dumbo, and the ultimate favorite was "the castle" known to most as the It's a Small World boat ride. Everything was decorated for Christmas and it even "snowed" at certain points in the park at set hours. Very cool. We got there just as it opened and got through a ton of rides before lines started forming and then we stayed there until nine at night, I think. It was a lot of fun and a tradition we are all happy to repeat!


Treasure looting on Mark Twain's island. X did not want to leave this place until he serenaded everyone with a loud rendition of "We are the Pirates Who Don't do Anything" from Veggies Tales. Xavier did actually find a dime on the ground and very carefully put the treasure in his pocket.

The wiggly pirate bridge.

Ready for Winnie the Pooh ride after X had just gotten to meet pictures with Pooh and Eeyore.
His review of the ride consisted of putting his hands over his ears and repeating "Too loud."

Wheeeeeee! On the boat ride for "It's a Small World" with cousin Z.

X's review: "I like teacups." So there you have it.

4 comments:

Claudine said...

I'm sorry to hear that it's been such a rough month already! You've really had it piled up high! Hopefully you can make it through the next few weeks ok and then you can start the new year with good health, good job prospects, and hopefully a bit more free time! :) Cute pics from D-land, X has such a sweet smile!

Amy said...

Thanks for coming over the other night. It was fun. Still up for the Library today?

Merilee said...

Sorry that its been rough for you guys. At least you live close to Disneyland. I wish we lived closer to Disneyland. I wish we lived closer to you.

Jodi said...

I get such a kick out of Xavier!