Friday, July 29, 2011

Squatter Jitters

So, we're moving up the hill.  Crossing the tracks.  Living on the east side, the bench, whatever you want to call it. We're moving where everyone has gigantic houses and are all at least in their mid-40's and I'm nervous!  I can't act nervous because X is anxious about the move already but I really am!  I think it's because I feel phony (we're only in our early 30's with young kids).  We're going to be squatters in a neighborhood we can't afford for at least one or two more years, right dear?  (wink, wink!)

We are housesitting for the school year and I'm excited and nervous.  It's like playing house!  We visited yesterday and from just one spot in the living room, I could see five different areas where 4-5 people could sit and chat.  Amazing. We'll get to use their trampoline, have three bathrooms(!), a bar, an upstairs and a downstairs (A will love that - she is a stair climber!), a garage (no wiping off snow all winter!!!!), a guest bedroom, and a deluxe children's play kitchen, among other things.  X gets a double bed and the kids could even have their own rooms, if they want. We may also have their dog - we are still debating (X will hate that but maybe it will help him with some of his dog fears?...or just make it worse, hmmm...).

So why am I nervous?  Squatter jitters, I guess.  I don't have any idea how to keep up a house that big; I'm not in shape and don't have a gym pass like all the neighbors; I don't wear nice jewelry to weed the flowerbeds; I've never had my own dog to take care of; and who knows what other kind of unspoken commitments are entailed in living in a rich neighborhood.  I will feel like a fraud living in a beautiful house like that and then driving to the store to buy food with WIC checks.  :)  (Yes, I really am this shallow thinking sometimes...I wish I could be one of those people who doesn't care what other people might think about them.)

It's okay, though.  Now that I look at my fears, I see they are really trivial and judgmental.  FlyLady housecleaning methods could work (work on a zone or two each day and don't worry about the rest, except general tidying); I could easily take a walk around the neighborhood in my new rocking shoes for exercise - maybe I'll even get to know people!; wearing jewelry to weed? well, I probably should buy some earrings since my contact solution disintegrated most of them a few months ago; the dog is old and doesn't even need to be taken on walks and has an electronic fence collar so we only have to worry about picking up dog stuff in the backyard; and most of the close neighbors already know that we are just housesitting, so I just need to be thankful and use my WIC checks while we save some money this year!

Over and out...tomorrow is garage sale day.

An old picture but still cute

5 comments:

K and M said...

Worried about living in a wealthy neighborhood?! You grew up on the bench in Bountiful. How different could it be? I'm very happy for you! Count your blessings! We prayed for years for a housesitting arrangement and never got it. And a trampoline!? My kids would be in heaven. :)

Lia said...

Who are you house sitting for?!

Don't keep their dog! I want to come visit if you're going to be in a big house! Plus I love trampolines!

Stacy said...

@Michelle: I know! I guess it feels different because growing up it wasn't me in charge of earning money or being neighborly and the family money was split among 12 people... This time it's just my little family who works hard just to pay the bills each month. :)

Jodi said...

I think it's going to be more normal than you think. And fun! Lots of space and new things. I'm a little jealous today.

Stacy said...

@Lia: The owners decided to send the dog with their parents so you are safe to come visit! Yay!