Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Poor is...food

After reading "Hate That Cat" by Creech, which is an entire book written as a journal in poem form, I wanted to try it a little myself.  I guess I've thought a lot about food this month.  This set of 13 short poems reflects my thoughts on the pros and cons of life on a tight budget.  Things may have been a bit tighter than I've been used to... :) 

12/27
Poor is
taking 
so
much
food from
you
grandma.


You say we
rotate
your
food storage well
okay
then
can we take
this too?
stuff it
in the
suit case
so she won't. see we took
too
many. she gives
 us 
more. hugs

Poor is
embarrassed.
gree-dy,
grateful.

1/8
Poor is making
soup in
a jar.
Lentils.
Spices.
Fiber.

Poor is
ideas.

1/16
Poor is
proctoring,
accep-ting
xtra
positions.
Add-ing
responsibility.

Poor is
opportunity.

1/18
Poor is
being
six dollars
over childcare
subsidy. Denied.
Good
luck.Work
hard
e
r.

Poor is
fighting.

1/23
Poor is
making food from
scratch.
Omitting.
eggs
Substituting. 
powders
Chili.
Cookies.
Waffle mix.

Poor is
time! 

1/24
Poor is
what?
only
butter
and milk and
half-empty condiments?

Poor is
empty.

1/25
Poor is
your 
son dancing
when he
sees
bread
eggs
yogurt
in
the refrigerator.

Poor is
guilt.

1/26
Poor is
using 
up gift
cards.
Birthday
pizza. from
October. Thank you
brother!

Poor is
joy!

1/27
Poor is
m
i
s
s
ing
organic
blue corn chips
hummus
beach sun

Poor is
nostalgic.

1/28
Poor is
McDonalds
as
the
o
n
l
y
reward.

Poor is
fattening.

1/30
Poor is
having 12
cans 
of 
tuna
and
15 cans of
kidney beans 
to try and
make
a
meal. 

Poor is
creativity.


1/31
Poor is
eating
food
samplers in
bulk.
Those were 
just
appetizers, you say?
Delicious.
Thank you.
We'll leave now.

Poor is
devouring.

2/1
Poor is
over
looked,
husband
skip.p.i.n.g 
lunch
to
save
a
buck.

Poor is
sacrifice. I
love. you
wake
me
up next time
to make you lunch. At
least take
the
package
of ramen.
New
flavor even!

Poor is a
learning 
experience.
No need to
rinse and repeat.

1 comment:

Jodi said...

This is great! I love 1/18 and 1/27! Now I'm looking forward to Hate That Cat--those are the kinds of poems I write, and I love it. This is sad, though; I think it's the word 'poor.'