With X, I felt motion sick for the first 15 weeks and all I wanted to eat was potatoes (mashed, baked, french fried, etc). This time, I had only very minor (evening-only) sickness and I went through a short phase of craving Cheerios nightly. I did have a week where I actually did want to eat pickles and this baby loves when I eat cheddar cheese. The most noticeable thing for me this time, though, is mood swings. The last week or so I've started having shooting back pain into my right leg (sciatica?), which is not fun because I hold my back and hobble around like I'm ninety. I think it might be exacerbated by the tiny kindergarten-size chairs I sit in all day.
Speaking of kindergarten...no, maybe I should wait to talk about that part of my life for when I have a better day. Well, I think I've calmed down enough to write somewhat fairly. Currently, I help teach two extended day kindergarten classes to twelve kindergartners each that are either underachieving or need behavioral/social skills help or both. Each child is lovable but very needy. It is challenging, to say the least. The hardest thing is realizing (remembering, really) that not all families are like mine or Joe's. We were really blessed growing up. Most of the kids in my classes are smart, quick learners but family situations or inappropriate behavior often distract from school and learning. Parents are divorcing/remarrying, even having custody battles in the school office, some are in jail, some are busy with other siblings-one family has a boy who is terminally ill, some parents don't speak any English and can't help their little ones, and some don't take their kids to school whenever they drink too much the night before. It is a truly amazing mix of students and experiences we have despite living in a place where outsiders think everyone is the same. This work is a huge test of patience for me, which I often fail, but I pray for understanding, insight, and patience every day to help me through.
7 comments:
Kindergarten is hard enough and then to throw all those other challenges into the mix, well I certainly don't envy that. Your sweet personality is a perfect fit I'm sure. Congrats on number two!! I look forward to finding out the sex too.
Congratulations on the new baby!
That's what it was like sometimes when I was working as a special ed. aide. Most of the parents were okay, but there were a few who pretty much just ignored their kids and we had to call them every day to make sure they would help their kid shower! It was sad.
Wanna hear something weird?? I totally had the exact same cravings with Sammy. Maybe it was that time of year - potatoes.
You are so amazing. Really! I don't think I could do what you do. And your snowman is adorable. Xavi reminds me of the little brother on A Christmas Story: "I can't put my arms down!" Love you.
Congratulations on the baby!
What great news that your Bankbugs will be 4 soon. I will send you an invite to my blog. It is great to see what your family is doing. Can't wait to her the gender.
kellymstewart AT gmail DOT com
Send me an e-mail will you?
Post a Comment