MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Picture below: The AmeriCorps members at our school (that means me) were given one week to gather clothing and coins to help families from the school get needed winter clothing. The students and staff at the elementary brought in close to $1,000 in coins with which we bought boots, socks, underwear, coats, hats, gloves, and gift cards to add to the donated clothing. Old Navy donated the racks which made it look like a store and some reporters came and put the event in the local newspaper! We held what we called "A Warm Winter's Night" for families in need with over 30 families attending the event. Volunteers colored and played games with the kids while parents found the items they needed. Wal-Mart donated bags and candycanes and there were books from our "toy library" and puzzles for gifts as well. A nearby elementary school took the clothes left over and did their own similar clothing event. The short timeframe made it stressful but I think it was a helpful and successful service to the community, especially during this cold winter!
X also loves being an honorary member of the Cub Scouts. Since we are the leaders, he makes sure he gets to do everything the boys do. This time it was making gingerbread houses. His funny pose is because he has frosting all over his fingers and hands (he was eating most of it!)
Joe and I were a little humbuggy(new word?) at the beginning of December, mostly because we were both swamped with work. But as X kept pointing out everywhere we went that "this store (or building or house) is ready for Christmas" because it had a tree, we finally went and got ready for Christmas, too. I should have taken a picture of the lopsided tree when X had put all his decorations in one spot, but we rearranged and that's the shot I took. Xavi also helped me put together a Christmas puzzle that we put in the picture frame. We spent the whole week before Christmas visiting relatives and attending talent nights. Lots of fun and lots of talent! We sang "In a Little Stable" from Xavi's preschool and he was great at remembering when to pick up and ring the bells and when to put them down again. So proud!
3 comments:
Wow! Congrats on baby number two! Very exciting.
Akemashite Omeditou!!
Congrats on the new baby - that is exciting!
Yay!! Congrats on Baby #2!!! I'm so happy for you! Are you feeling sick? I know I am (hint hint). Shhhh, don't tell anyone, because we're being secretive still, but when I saw your announcement, I had to tell you - I'm due in August too!!! We don't want to start telling anyone around here until after my first doctor's visit, though. I can't believe we'll be preggie buddies for a second time!
Post a Comment